Tag: Protect

Ectoparasites are the organisms staying on the outside (skin and hairs) of the animals. These ectoparasites include fleas, lice, mosquitoes, flies, ticks, and mites. Ectoparasites are responsible for producing harmful effects to pet animals in the form of biting, blood-sucking, the transmission of various parasitic, bacterial, viral, and haemoprotozoan diseases. Apart from that ectoparasites are responsible for causing various types of dermatological disorders in pet animals leading to alopecia, chronic localized or generalized dermatitis marring the external presentation or look of pets. Among various harms caused by these ectoparasites, the transmission of deadly Haemoprotozoan infections is an important one. Various haemoprotozoa like Babesia, Hepatozoan, and other blood pathogens like Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, Mycoplasma, etc. are mainly transmitted by ticks. All these blood pathogens are responsible for causing diseases characterized by fever and anemia due to blood loss which may if ignored becomes deadly to the pet animal. Strike of flies on even small wound/ scratch during the humid season may produce maggot wounds on the skin and even transmit some bacterial infections. Mosquitoes are biting insects that feed on blood and may cause discomfort to animals, dermatitis, and secondary bacterial infections of the skin. Moreover, they are vectors for transmission of dog heartworm Dirofilaria immitis.


  1. Observe your pet for any ectoparasite
  2. Do regular bathing, combing/ brushing to hairs of your pet
  3. Use soaps, shampoos exclusively formulated for pets
  4. Never use human skincare products for your pets
  5. Keep proper hygiene in pet homes to avoid breeding of some ectoparasites

Our pets are not necessarily at risk of being attacked by rats, but rather from the poison people set out to rid our dwellings of rats. Poison is the most commonly used way to eliminate rats, but there are chances of our pets also getting either directly ingesting the poison or indirectly from eating a dead poisoned rat.

My Pet Eats Rat Poison: How can I know?
  • Garlic or Fish like Smells from Breath.
  • Nose Bleeds.
  • Blood in Stool, Urine or Vomit.
  • In coordination, Depression or Lethargy.
  • Seizures.
My Pet Eats Rat Poison: What can I do?
  • Treat it as an Emergency.
  • Rush to the Vets sooner.

How to Avoid Our Pet to Get Poisoned

  • TIP 1- Avoid Trapping- Repel Rats Instead.
  • TIP 2- Keep Trap Bait Poison-Free.
  • TIP 3- Bait Traps According to a Rat’s Diet.
  • TIP 4- Place Rat Traps in the Right Places.